Tuesday, December 2, 2014

It's Just Hair? Right? ... May be not

It's hair, its vanity, beauty, identity, depends on whom you ask. For my almost 7  6 year old, Chatter Box, 'It's my decision'
Let me elaborate.
For the last year, Miss V has been patiently growing her hair. For as long as I remember she has sported variations of the 'Dora Hairstyle'. They have been short, manageable. However most of the girls in her class have long hair. When I say long, waist long hair sporting buns, fish braids etc. Playing 'Salon Salon' in break time was the thing for the girls. And Miss V wanted in!
So she grew her hair, went for the customary 1/2 inch trims, but she grew them.  She understood the importance of good hair, so let me oil them, wash them, tend to them.
And oh yes, I was happy. It was like; I have a little doll who tells me each day what she wanted. One pony, two ponies, side pony, open hair, buns. I was happy waking a little bit earlier just to play comb her hair for being school ready.
She enjoyed the pampering as well.
Then one day, in art class, the hair came in way of painting. The hair started bothering her and she was not enjoying the detangling each morning and my nagging of 'lets keep them tied' (Gosh I am turning into my mother)
She said, I need a haircut.
I delayed it; oh let’s wait for Diwali Party. She agreed.
She said, I need a haircut.
I delayed it; oh let’s wait for our DC trip.
She said, I need a haircut.
I delayed it; oh let’s wait for the Dance Recital
She said, 'I need a haircut. It's my decision'.
And I agreed.
We went for her hair cut, removing 6 inches off her lovely long hair and she was happy.
She spent time on my phone looking for the cut she needed, decided the length she wanted and the minutia details of it all. I asked her 20 times at the salon ‘Are you sure?’
She said, I need a haircut.
I think one hair cut taught an important lesson to both of us:
'It may be just hair, but one does not need to conform to fit in' And I completely am enamored by my strong kiddo….. and No I am not looking forward to the teenage  years.
Her friends still sport the long hair, but she is happy. They still play ' Salon Salon' and she comes home with 'funky' clips. But she is happy.

But I am thoroughly enjoying watching her rocking the awesome A line bob!

Before:


After

1 comment:

Unknown said...

she looks amazing !!!
her strong individualistic personality will not only make her a leader but will also make her a strong role model to her peers