I am really bad at following through on the 'Getting Fit' business. When Fit Bit was new, I was completely hooked on and then health became a bit unmanageable, the first thing out- Being healthy. Sad as usual, but true.
But once again, trying to make better choices, a day at a time. In addition, we are contemplating a beach vacation which is motivation enough.
This weekend we had our besties in town and needless to say we pigged out. Every single meal. So by Sunday night, we all were done. Salad- Juice was the way to go.
Sumit made one of his delicious Juice concoctions and I decided to make salad.
My chatter box said- Salad is not going to fill me up. So I decided to twist it up.
Transformed Salad: Cross between torta and Open Sandwich: Or just Something Delicious
1. Zucchini - 1/2 cup
2. Carrots - 1/2 cup
3. Peppers - 1/4 cup
4. Onions - 1/4 cup
5. Parsley- 1/4 cup
6. Lettuce - 3/4 cup
7. Garlic - 1 clove
8. Shredded Cheese - Per taste (Or substitute with Goat Cheese)
9. Hummus - Per taste
10.Spices: Chili Pepper, Black Pepper, Dried Basil, Salt
11. Pita bread/ Any flat bread
1. Sauté onion garlic in olive oil.
2. When translucent add the spices per your taste
3. Add all remaining vegetables except parsley and Lettuce
4. Cover and let the vegetable steam
5. On a pan, let the pita bread get warm
6. Sprinkle cheese and then add vegetables on half of sandwich (Just so you can close it)
7. Add lettuce and parley.
7. Close sandwich and Enjoy when crisp.
We ate it with hummus dip and sriracha!
It was our dinner last night and lunch to go today. And needless to say this will be on our dinner rotation menu.
What I loved about it was, its like a warm salad. But the pita (I used whole wheat with sundried tomato) helped transform it in a complete meal. The simplicity of the spices bring out the complete taste of the vegetables.
The cheese helps close the sandwich really well and I cut it in Pizza shapes for lunch for the kiddos.
Welcome to try out the 'Transformed Salad: Cross between torta and Open Sandwich'