Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Quick Food Fix: Vegetarian Falafel Sandwich

One of these evenings en route back from school, I was telling my Chatterbox V, oh its Mexican night!
She just didn’t seem excited. Excited is too strong a word, she was disappointed. Her exact words to me were: 'No, Not really"
She then chimed in saying 'I want that thing with pita bread' . After some probing and prodding, I realized she was talking about Falafel sandwiches!

So the menu changed, and it became Falafel Sandwiches.
This was my FIRST attempt at it, here is my version of the recipe modified to make it filled with iron & additional protein!

Falafel Ingredients
Chickpeas- 1 can rinsed thoroughly (You could soak 1 cup of garbanzo overnight and boil as well)
Tofu: Firm 1/4 cup chopped in cubes (Use firm, else the falafel will be too soft)
Kale: 3 leaves, chopped
Onion: 1/4 chopped
Carrots: 1/2 cup chopped
Parsley(Optional): 1/4 finely chopped
Spices: Cinnamon 1/4 tsp; Salt, Chili - per taste

Sandwich Ingredients:
Pita bread, halved
Chopped:
Cucumber
Tomato
Onion
Arugula

Toppings:
Hummus (I had the roasted red pepper hummus from Costco)
Yogurt, blended: I was missing Dill, else I would have added that

Making Falafel:
(Steps 1-3 are optional)
1. In a pan, Sautee onion, carrots, kale with the spices
2. When tender (About 2-3 minutes), add in all other ingredients and spices
3. Sautee for additional 5 minutes

4. Take the mixture of all falafel ingredients and blend in the food processor, add 1 tsp of lemon juice
5. Pulse for 2-3 minutes, until a slightly chunky paste

6. Make into small patties and cook them turning slightly until browned- 4-5 minutes


Making Sandwich
1. Open the pita bread, spread hummus and yogurt,
2. Layer the vegetables,
3. Add the Warm falafel
4. Top with additional yogurt/ add any spicy sauce you like

5. Enjoy and Eat!


Dinners for us have to be quick, since the time from entering home, to dinner to bed time is very short and action packed. I loved this revised recipe- it took me about 30 minutes to prep, prepare and serve! And hence the Tag 'Quick Food Fix'.

Plus I think since it was the first time I made it, I was super proud of me, I am sure so was Miss Chatterbox!

No comments: