Thursday, October 19, 2017

Diwali... The festival of lights

We as a family celebrate Indian festivals with much fan fare and partake it a lot of the American festivals with as much enthusiasm. Being an immigrant in a foreign country,   this has honestly never been a challenge and the ease of assimilation surprises me and makes me happy as well.
As I write this, My Diwali lights sits next to the Halloween decor!


The kids, they love festivities no matter what origin. Of course, they get candies and get to dress up and meet their friends.
There was a term 'ABCD= American Born Confused Desi' which I honestly  hope my two wonderful daughters are not 'categorized as'. At least at their tender ages of 9 and 4, they seem well grounded to me. Of course I am biased. As a I say with all parenting decisions= Only time will tell.

Now, The festival of lights, Diwali, this has a special place in my heart, always. It brings fond memories of helping my mom decorate the house, or smelling the deliciousness coming from the kitchen, or holding my dad's hand as we picked out my new Diwali dress or even simple stuff like fighting with my brother on who gets more fireworks!

With wonderful friends coming back from India on Diwali 'eve' and bringing a bagful of stuff from India, the girls of the house: Miss Chatterbox and the Little Lady and Me, we have new dresses! We have delicious goodies and best of all the feeling of India that makes me smile.

So this year, the house is decorated with candles and love.
So this year, the house is filled with delicious smells of my mother in law's cooking.
So this year, The dad and grand dad are prepping for the prayers with much fan fare.
So this year, I have taken some time off work, the kids are home
and
Like every year: We celebrate Diwali, the festival that symbolises triumph of good on evil.
Like every year: I remind myself to knock on wood and count my blessings and really hope that I can overcome my own hurdles and be a better person.

Wishing you a very Happy Diwali, a prosperous year ahead, a safe and wonderful celebration and above all wishing you 'A smile'



No comments: