Thursday, June 27, 2013

Another successful Munch Bunch, Theme: Greek

This time for the Munch Bunch, the theme was Greek. Since I was responsible for one main, I started
hunting for intresting recipes, Surprisingly, it was very Vegetarian friendly. I generally order the
same two things in any greek restraunt. But I was amazed to find such a lovely variety of dishes with
simple steps and complicated flavors.
Here was the menu of the evening:
Drink:
Greek Tiger
Appetisers:
Zuccini Fritters with Tatziki,
Chips and Tirokafteri
Mains:
Spanikopita Lasagne
Peppers with Feta
Dessert:
Cookies
Pannacotta
Yumm Yummm Yummm,,

I wanted to try my hand at dolmades. But the steps scared me away and I will stick to ordering that in
restraunts. I made: Peppers with Feta cheese and 'tirokafteri' a spicy cheese dip.
Here is my take of simplifying the already simple recipes

1. Peppers with Feta CheeseIngredients:Sweet Peppers: 30 medium size
Jalapeno peppers: 2 sliced length wise
Tomatoes : 4 large, (recipe called for grated but I used my foood processer for chunky peices)
Feta cheese:  250g  crumbled- Store baught package
Garlic: 5 cloves, finely chopped. We all love garlicy flavor in food
Basil leaves: 1 bunch, finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste
Steps1. Wash the peppers, deseed them and cut them lenght wise.
2. Set them on trays for drying.
3. Heat olive ould and fry the peppers. Peppers will sizzle as soon as put them. Remove from oil when
they look slightly soft.
(Since the original recipe called for frying, I stuck to it. The next time, I am planning to broil them
for making it healthier)
4. Lay the fried pepper in an oven dish and sprinkle salt to taste (I used sea salt)
5. Layer with garlic, the crushed tomatos and the sliced jalapeno peppers.
6. Add salt to taste, but not too much as the feta cheese is rather salty.
7. Sprinkle the olive oil and basil on top.
8. Finally, sprinkle the crumbled feta cheese on top.
9. Bake in the over at 350 F for approx. 20 minutes, until the liquid has been absorbed and the feta
browns a bit.
10. Eat Hot!!!!
Notes: Since this dish calls for only salt, ensure the Feta is good quality so to render good taste.
I am happy to report, that the peppers dissappeared really quickly and my friend M worded it perfectly,
its smoky to tase and so easy on the tongue. I could not agree more.
As an Indian, I love spice in my food, but for once, with the simplicity of flavors in this dish, it
was perfect. No additional 'hot sauce'needed.
Adapted from here


2. Next dip I tried was 'Tirokafteri' a spicy cheese dip.
Though I didnt have to make anything for the appetisers, this recipe looked really simple and since I
had never eaten it, the foodie in me wanted to make and eat it.
Please note, the dip is heavy, cheesy and spicy! So yes, perfect.
IngredientsJalapeno: 1
Thai Chilli: 3-4 (depends on your spice level). Finely chopped
Feta cheese: 250 gm
Greek anthotiro cheese: 125g. I went to three stores and still didnt find it. I used the Ricotta Cheese
as replacement that the original recipe called for
2 teaspoonfuls lemon juice
100ml extra virgin olive oil
Steps:1. Wash the jalapeno and the chillis.
2. Put all the cheeses and peppers in a blender and mix.
Note: I added some milk for assisting the blending process
3. You might have to add salt to adjust seasoning.
4. Add lemon juice
The consistency should be of a thick yogurt.
Garnish with olive oil and enjoy!
This worked really well with the Zucini Fritters that M had prepared and the chips. In all due honesty,
I ate it with all the mains!! Hehe, Yes it did turn out creamy and yummy at the same time.

It was a wonderful Munch Bunch which got topped off by some Cut Throat Mafia at the end of the evening.
Next month: Theme:  Guys cooking. I am looking forward for our girls spa session as the boys dish out
stuff. They need to ONLY make 2 Appetisers, 2 Mains, Drink, Dessert

I cant wait!

No comments: