Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Quick Food Fix: Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Poached Apple

Brussels sprouts. I see them stocked on our grocery store all the time and I always shy away from buying them. What to make?
Then I came across this recipe, hmm, it seemed easy enough, so I tried it last night with a full spread. The original recipe called for adding cranberries and Maple Syrup. Somehow sweet salad was not my thing, so I spiced it up ever so slightly
Here is my variation for a quick fix:Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Poached Apple
 Ingredients:
1. Brussels sprouts: trimmed and cut in halves- I used 10-12 sprouts
2. Half apple sliced
3. Olive Oil
4. Salt, Pepper
5. 10-12 Walnuts broken by hand
6. 1-2 tsp Lemon Juice
(You can add chili flakes and garlic, since I wanted to taste the sprouts)
 Process:
1. Pre-heat oven to 325 F
2. Toss the Brussels sprouts in olive oil and add salt. (I skipped black pepper, since Chatterbox is not fond of it).
3. Lay the sprouts and the apple on a baking sheet and put it in the oven
4. In about ten minutes, just flip the sprouts and the apple (The sprouts start getting brown)
5. In another five minutes take the sprouts and apple out.
6. Put it in a dish and mix- Add lemon Juice and walnuts

Enjoy!!!!

We ate it as a salad before our dinner. It actually complimented the food really well. Here was our menu for the evening

Appetizers: Brussels Sprouts with Poached Apple
Main Course: Custom Pizza's
We did the following combinations
1. Pesto with Pepper
2. Red sauce with goat cheese and basil
3. Broccoli with carrots and red sauce
Dessert: Moustache Brownies
Sumit recently got a mold with moustache shapes, so we gave it a shot!

Just another Tuesday night in our house, you see that's how we roll!


No comments: