Friday, September 30, 2016

Travel Journal: Day 1: Flight from Delhi to Leh & Acclimitize

Of course, Sumit and I had landed from Chicago 4 hours before our flight out to Leh. Talk about Travel Junkies.

After a scrumptious Indian Style Breakfast at Delhi Airport, we sat in our flight; with 6 adults and 3 kids!


Just a preview to the trip ahead.

First come first: Yes Acclimatization, is a real thing. You are at 9000 ft. above sea level and really little Oxygen: The way you realize it is your breathing becomes slightly hard, you take longer breaths unconsciously and Trust me just take 24-48 hours in Leh and do nothing major!


Within 4 hours of landing and resting in the Army guest house, my older daughter, 8 year old Miss V started throwing up. Within the next 2 hours my Little Lady, 3 year old started throwing up. (aka 3 times in less than 10 minutes).

We rushed them to the local hospital; the people were really nice and understanding. It was interesting that our Army Jawan kept telling us, don’t worry, this happens to everyone. 

At that time, it felt like, oh my gosh, what have we done… but the minute I got to the hospital and I saw people around only with altitude sickness, it was sort of comforting. All of the patients in the room, big or small had similar symptoms: Throwing up, Nausea, Light headed-ness.

When you see the two little ones so weak and listless, its hard. I held back tears and made silly jokes to keep their spirits up.

2 injections and loads of candies later, both the girls were back home and resting as highly recommended by our hosts!


We were advised to have minimum 25 glasses of water each day and eat small and frequent portions. The best advice Ever!


So again: If you plan on travelling, Acclimatization is a real thing. Plan on 1-2 days in Leh so you can settle in, it will be worth it in the long run!

Warning: Leh, Laddakh is definitely a place which is a tough trip. You need to mentally prepared for 'falling sick'.. trust me as you read rest of my travel posts, you will know why!
Having said that, I still highly recommend it. The youngest in our group was 15 months and oldest 60+. and I still say, it is heaven on earth with its sprawling beauty...


Day 2: Will be another day!

No comments: