Thursday, January 30, 2020

I failed and still won (I Think)


A long time ago I had decided I WILL NEVER DIET again. I have nightmares from my college days and been through that "body hating or shaming phase". I am definitely NOT proud of that. My grown up and more mature mantra for over the last decade has been: NO Diet. NO focus on weight loss but the focus should be on eating healthier, getting fit and overall upping the energy levels. It's made me happier!

As a mother of two young, highly impressionable kids this seems to be working well.  My husband and I "try not to" talk about weight but feeling healthy. We "try not to" talk about being fat/short/stubby etc. But more around feeling confident about yourself and taking care of yourself.
And mind you- WE ARE NOT THE FITTEST/ HEALTHIEST or even close in the vicinity of "Fit Person". But still, I very strongly believe in Being confident of your body the way it is, being aware of your food choices and above all enjoying food since it's a very important part of your gatherings, your family time. For me, it is the way to a happier self.


Having said all that, I have gone way off the path of getting fit or even being fit! All good, but just crazy busy with work, family visiting, kids and wonderful "work life balance" which was thrown out the window. Yes I know, the lamest excuse of them all: Life is busy and being fit was prioritized lower, way lower. But oh well, that's what happened.

Recently, over one of our fun filled dinner's, a girlfriend mentioned her diet plan which has worked for her the effects showed beautifully on her: In Short, No Carb, no Sugar, and just vegetables and fruits with protein's. I was so far away from 'my fit self' I said, I will try this diet breaking my decade old promise to myself.
After recovering from the flu, I went right in and Failed Miserably on Day 3!

It was too hard for me to be on that diet, my carb craving kicked in and my crankiness was insane. I kept thinking of food! And above all I just felt guilty on not practicing what I preach "Focus on healthy eating and not Weight Loss"


So after failing miserably at this, here is where I am: I am glad over that fun dinner, my friend told me about this no Sugar, No Carb  diet. Since two things happened.
One, I realized how far I had digressed from healthy eating and fitness overall.
Two, I am chatting with my friends , exchanging fun recipes and above all BITCHING ABOUT IT. Since Getting Fit' is hard!

My previous journey of "Getting Fit" had been the most successful ever, I was eating everything (Thanks to MyFitnessPal in keeping me honest), I was working out (Thanks to wonderful workout buddy) and most importantly I was giving the kids a run for their money in the family soccer days (Thanks to the kids vs adult games and our competitive selves)

Here is where I am:  My friends and hubby are continuing the original diet plan "no sugar, no carb, no white food etc etc". They continue to support me in my 'modified' version and I continue to support the three of them for their journey!

Isnt that what Getting Fit is all about: Getting the support, encouragement and making a move in the right direction.




No comments: