Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Quick Food Fix: Alternate Falafel Sandwich (Slightly Indian Touch!!!)


 It was one of those weekday evenings when things were actually moving well. Kids were picked up on time, Sumit was super busy with work, so he was in his 'Do Not Disturb' mode and well I was 'Craving home cooked food'
The past two weeks have been a whirlwind, friends visiting, implying lots of eating out, me travelling for work, implying Sumit taking charge of the kitchen for kids and then just generally lots out meals out!
Hence I was 'Craving home cooked food'

While the kids played, did homework, I made our delicious home-made pizza's. But I wanted something more, so attempted at 'Falafel'. Here is my older and more 'standard' recipe of the falafel sandwiches. Its with chickpeas, tofu vegetables.
But this evening, I tried something different and it turned out simpler, different and still very delicious

How about we call it: Falafel with an Indian Twist
Ingredients
1. 1 cup soaked Moong (Green Gram)
2. 1/2 cup soaked kala channa (Black Garbanzo)
3. 1 cup zucchini quartered
4. 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
5. 1/4 cup Bajra Atta: Millet Flour
6. 1/4 cup Besan Atta: Chick Pea Four
7. 1 slice of bread for binding
8. Spices: Salt, Black Pepper, Chili

Process:
1. Mix all the ingredients above and blend them in a food processor.
2. Make little Patties, cover in breadcrumbs and shallow fry (On low flame)
3. Turn after 10 minutes to crispen on other side

Assemble the sandwich as you please: Shown in my recipe before!

Making Sandwich
1. Open the pita bread, spread hummus and yogurt,
2. Layer the vegetables,
3. Add the Warm falafel
4. Top with additional yogurt/ add any spicy sauce you like

Advantages: 
Garbanzo and Tofu combination is delicious, but this Moong-Chana combination makes the flavor's slightly nutty and crisper.
Since I am not cooking the mixture and just 'blasting them in the food processor' its just quicker to make.

The most important one: Under my 30-minute rule. Recipe above makes: 10-12 falafel and it took me exactly 27 minutes while I was doing other things, so yay for a Quick Food Fix



No comments: