Everyone wants to eat healthy, high protein, complex carbs and low fat. The belly fat, the unhealthy weight all need to go! Now.
It's just, the more we try to eat healthy, the harder it gets. Especially for foodies like us.
The men- hubby and brother have been very honest to the P90X workout this month. Three weeks into it, and they are barely missing it. They are encouraging each other, buying healthier, avoiding temptations and above all, enjoying the process.
As vegetarian's, our protein intake is not on the higher side. With a workout regimen like P90X or any gym activity for that matter, increased protein is a must. It keeps one fuller for longer, rebuilds the body after strenuous workout.. and is a must per P90X instructor-Tony. The name that is said the most in my household nowadays(!)
We have been creative in the GN & SD household. The usage of Sprouts, Daals, Tofu dishes, Edamame has increased two fold. In order to support the 'boys' workout, I recently made a quick High Protein Dish with lots of vegetables and I think it was flavorful. Sadly I made it a bit spicy, so V could not enjoy it this time. But next time, I wow to keep spice level in check.
Non Fat Veggie Chillie Recipes
What you need
One cup each of small diced onions, celery, carrots, red & green bell peppers,
2/3 Ripe tomatoes Chopped, mushrooms (if you like),
Kidney beans (1 cup un-soaked/ 1 can),
Chick peas (1 cup un-soaked/ 1 can),
salt, Dried Oregano leaves/ Italian Seasoning. Black Pepper to taste
Lemon juice to taste
red hot chilies flakes if available or red hot chili powder to taste
4 table spoon chopped cilantro (coriander or dhania leaves)
-Soak one cup of Kidney beans and chick peas overnight. Boil them to tender the next day. (If using cans, make sure to wash the beans thoroughly.)
- Heat the saucepan on the stove, add Olive Oil
- Add diced onions to the pan heat it for a minute or so to sweat. (One can add ginger, garlic if needed)
- Add celery, bell peppers, carrots and stir occasionally for about 5-6 minutes. Add some salt, this gets more juices out of the vegetables.
- Add chilli powder/ red chilli flakes. Now add tomatoes to these vegetables and stir for 5-6 minutes. Don’t cover the pan.
- Add both the beans to the mixture and stir well.
- Add 3 cups of water. Let it come to a boil.
- Add Oregano, lemon juice, Black Pepper and salt to taste.
- Reduce the gas and let it sim for about an hour. The more you let it stew, the more flavorful it tastes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning
Serve with Chopped Onions, Jalapenos
One can eat chilli by itself like a thick soup or on rice.
This time, we ate Veggie Chilli with a little of the Wild Rice (A mix of White, brown, Black rice and some lentils).. and it tasted heavenly (according to me!)
Like always, the total time needed for me to get it going was less than 30 minutes. The stewing needs no intervention. I had made chilli once with a friend in a slow cooker which we let stew for about 8 hours… aah it tasted divine! So if you do have a slow cooker... you better make it sooner and dont forget to call me!
Edited to add: Sorry no pictures again! I really didnt know I was going to blog about it.