Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mid-afternoon slumber...

Or Siesta as it’s lovingly known!
With busy week and even busier weekends when did you last take a siesta? Just nothing. Slept in the middle of the day with no books, no TV, no laptop, no phone, and basically snuggle in!
A few weekends ago, we had friends visiting from out of town. En route to home after heavy brunch, I asked hubby to drop me and V home and friends and him to tour the city. This way, V would be fresh for evening plans. Sounds perfect.
We came home and while she napped, I started reading. 30 minutes into my book, I looked up and asked myself: "Why?"
No one is home, V is probably knocked out for 2 hours, dinner is possibly outside, and there is nothing else. Why don’t I sleep? I came up with thousand and one excuses to not nap. May be I should fold the laundry, clean up the house, get dinner reservations, catch up on missed work outs or may be complete this book I have been slacking with.
Now.. I am no power napper. Once in a while, when I have tried to sleep in the middle of the day, it better be for a couple of hours or none at all. I can’t just sleep for 30 minutes and be fresh. I will be VERY cranky. Trust me, or ask anyone in my family.
So, here I was a cozy afternoon pretty much to myself with baby snores to give me company. And I am battling with myself as to why I should not sleep. I was enjoying my book immensely, but an afternoon slumber... it's been a while.
I kept my book aside, switched of the lights... and slept. Slept for solid three hours in the middle of the afternoon. I am thinking V might have gotten up and seen me sleep, so she went back to bed.
Refreshed. Completely refreshed. After I woke up, I had this renewed energy in me. Wondering, why I don’t do this often.
I promised myself, once a month. Just nap in the afternoon on a weekend.

It has not happened yet... after that day. But I am hoping, sometime soon, I will be able to catch my siesta!
What about you, tried a lazy afternoon lately?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mid afternoon naps used to be bliss,but ever since I started working they feel like a thing of the past :)

Garima said...

@ Dialoguewithyou... I hear you... try the weekend. Thats the only time I get as well. But sadly, there are so many other things happening... siesta's do seem like a thing of the past!

UmaS said...

Oh, its my fav...the afternoon nap...it used to be much longer before, now I've restricted to 30 mins only...I find that refreshing me fine...

Glad u listened to ur heart... ;) :)

Anonymous said...

Ok I am tempted enough to try this weekend :D