Thursday, July 1, 2010

My Sins against Gender-Stereotypes

The fun tag going around right now... is ‘My Sins against Gender-Stereotypes’.
Rules are simple... write down ten things that your gender stereo type does not do. Hmm... Well.. i thought I'd have tonnes.... But when I started writing, i realized, i do fit into a lot of girly stereo types.........darn... but here are the ten top most that stood out for me.

1. I have been the handy-woman around the house... got a picture frame to put up call me, got a crib to fix call me, got a broken faucet, i will attempt it.
2. Need for speed.. I love being in and driving a fast car. I miss my California days, where the speed limit was 75 and there was a minimum on some key freeways.
3. I have not liked the color pink for the longest time ever.. I must say, that's changing with my daughter growing up. I am getting more and more fond of it.
4. Heavy lifting.. I take pride in being able to carry a 60 pound bag up the flight of stairs. I take pride in being able to lift and move the couch around the house.
5. Enjoyed all types of sports.. though I suck at them.. I like to try each and every one of them. I like the adrenaline rush.. I love the excitement and above all I love the competition. I bet, SD and my dear friend can vouch for my competitive streak in a recent game of pool basket ball.
6. Tears of pain of bruises of cuts. I can handle them. I will not wince unless its excruciating.. like my ACL injury or more recently my labor. Besides these two, I don’t remember crying for other physical injuries.
7. House project.... goes hand in hand with being a handy woman i guess. But I itch to do a fix-me-up house, or stain a coffee table or even paint a room. All of these are things I want to rather than actually done.
8. I don’t know if this qualifies.. but lived alone, travelled alone and managed alone. Oh by the way, that does include filing my own taxes.. which is a freaking big deal for me.
9. Took pride in being tom boyish... one of the guys and still have a bunch of craziest guy pals.
10. Speak my mind.. all the freaking time. To the point, where I am infected for life with "foot in mouth" disease!

Hmmm... But I am a girly girl as well. I love my girl night outs, my long email conversations with friends, my clothes, shoes and purses. I can ask SD a zillion times, is this looking good. I enjoy my chick flicks as much as I love a good thriller. I can spend hours gossiping with my MIL. I thoroughly enjoy cooking and keeping my family glued. Above all.. i love being me. Opinionated yet sociable.
Feel free to take the tag if not done so already!

6 comments:

Piper .. said...

:) your post made me smile :) you seem like this perfect woman :):)

GNSD said...

Haha!!! How I wish... ask SD.... and he will have a completely different story to say.. my quirks.. my incessant need and frustration of having stuff in place.. and oh yes, did i mention.. I nag.. though I love to say: i never do!
Perfect... how I wish! :-D

Shilpa said...

Gosh... am like you on this 4. Heavy lifting.. I take pride in being able to carry a 60 pound bag up the flight of stairs. I take pride in being able to lift and move the couch around the house.

Lakshmi said...

Wow, that was a great read Garima. I could write a few things similar about myself. Just last week bruised by foot trying to move a furniture myself!

GNSD said...

@ Shilpa... My brother continuously teases me about my "muscles" which I dont have but often talk about.
@Lakshmi... uho... hope not a bad bruise... I guess being in US has helped us be more independent.. and not wait for some "macho" to come and lift the stuff around!

Anonymous said...

HELP! I’m currently being held prisoner by the Russian mafia xyzrxyz [url=http://www.buypenisenlargement.com]penis enlargement[/url] xyzrxyz and being forced to post spam comments on blogs and forum! If you don’t approve this they will kill me. xyzrxyz [url=http://www.male-sexual-styles.com]penis enlargement[/url] xyzrxyz They’re coming back now. xyzrxyz [url=http://pills.buypenisenlargement.com]vimax[/url] xyzrxyz Please send help! nitip [url=http://www.male-sexual.com/vimax-pills.html]vimax[/url]