Thursday, January 19, 2017

Quick Food Fix: Spicy Cauliflower Steak

Needing my mommy moment~

Last night, I really craved 'good food' something rich, delicious and yummy, and home made.

I wish my mom lived closer and I could call her and tell her, I was this and this. But oh well, reality sinks and I am a mom now and I still wanted some 'good food'

So I got down to business and now a total show off - I started food prep 5:40 pm and by 7:20, dinner was made, kids were fed and were getting ready for reading and bed time! So a very satisfying evening!

Dinner Menu:
Vij's Adapted cauliflower steak
Malai Kofta,
Paratha,
Cucumber sabzi....
followed by left over fruit custard from the night before!

Yippie and it was totally worth it! All four of us thoroughly enjoyed the dinner  and licked our fingers and cleaned the plates! Even Little Lady, who picks and chooses which vegetable she wants, took second and third helpings of 'Vij's Adapted cauliflower steak'

The recipe is adapted from here. A friend had made it a few munch bunches ago. I modified to fit in my 'Quick Food Fix Rule'

Serves 4:
Ingredients
Caulifower florets cut length wise
Spices: 1/4 tsp
Salt, Pepper, Mirchi/ Cayenne Pepper, Cinamanon, Crushed jeera powder, rock salt
Ginger: 1/2 inch- Grated
Garlic: 4 cloves- Grated/ finely chopped
Olive Oil: 3 tsp

For coating:
All Purpose Flour/ Chickpea Flour: 2 tsp mixed in a liquid paste in 1 cup water
Panko Breadcrumbs: 1/2 cup (feel free to use other variety, i just have some left over from my Onion Rings evening)

Process:
1. In a box mix all ingredients, oil and the florets should be marinated with all spices well

2. Add the coating ingredients and again mix well
3. In the pre-heated oven (425), on a greased dish, lay out the marinated florets evenly spaced

4. Let it bake/ crispen for 10 minutes
5. Flip and let them bake for another 10 minutes
6. Ta Da!! Garnish with chopped cilantro and enjoy!

It is the perfect combination of crispy cover, soft flavorful cauliflower, who new 'Gobhi' could taste so well!

And yeah, a weeknight malai kofta recipe will follow: I skipped all frying and just enjoyed the 'healthier' twist. However truth be told, the portion i gobbled was not 'healthy; for sure.


No comments: